Capoeira (“kap-oo-ay-rah”) is an Afro-Brazilian martial art that combines music, self-defence, dance, acrobatics, and physical conditioning to create a unique, multidisciplinary experience. The art form was created over 400 years ago in Brazil, developed by African slaves as a form of recreation and self-defence against the Portuguese colonizers. In order to conceal what they were doing, the slaves disguised their martial art as a benign art form, adding in elements of dance, music, and later, acrobatics. As a result, modern Capoeira is one of the most inherently diverse martial arts in the world today, with creativity, music, self-expression, and strategic thinking as much a part of the core curriculum as physical training and fitness.
During this summer program students will:
- Gain skills and confidence by learning the fundamental movements of Capoeira: footwork, attacks, escapes, acrobatics.
- Increase their coordination by engaging in fun daily motor skills games, exercises, and obstacle courses.
- Gain Rhythm by learning the fundamentals of Afro-Brazillian percussion and how to play basic rhythms on several traditional African and Brazilian instruments.
- Learn self expression by learning to sing Capoeira songs!
- Get outdoors for a portion of every sunny day.
- Stay extremely active by playing Capoeira everyday!
- Have fun in a safe, positive and highly active environment with other young aspiring Capoeiristas and our highly experienced and skilled instructors.